The Aud Bunch

The Aud Bunch
The Aud Bunch - Oaklie, John, Megan, Brad, Audrey, Brittany, Chase, Lindsay, and Sierra

Friday, February 11, 2011

Grandma & 40 all in a week!



This week has been absolutely crazy. On Sunday at 1:36 a.m., Megan gave birth to my first granddaughter, Oaklie Maxine Dart. She was 6lbs. 6oz. and 18 inches long.

At about 11:00 p.m. on Saturday night Megan came into my room and told me she was bleeding a bit and she thought she was having a few contractions. After about 20 minutes of trying to decide whether she should go get checked, she and John headed to the hospital. We got a phone call at about 12:00 a.m. from Megan. When she arrived at the hospital she was dilated to a 4+. She told us that the hospital wasn't sure that she was in labor, but they were going to monitor her for an hour to see if she would progress. Well, she called us about 20 minutes later and said that she was now at a 5+, so they would admit her. Brad and I arrived at the hospital around 1:00 a.m. or shortly after, assuming that we had plenty of time. This was her first time giving birth after all! By the time we arrived, her water had broken on it's own. We sat in the room with her for about 10-15 minutes when Megan suddenly said, "I feel like I have to poop really bad." Having given birth to 3 babies myself, I figured that the baby was coming, so I went out to get the nurse. Brad and I stepped out into the hall while the nurse checked her. We heard the nurse say that Megan was complete and soon people were coming and going out of her room constantly. Approximately 10-15 minutes later we heard Oaklie start to cry! Megan ended up giving birth with no epidural and no doctor!!! The doctor walked in about 10 seconds after we heard the baby cry.

Megan suffered some severe complications, including surgery, hemorrhaging, and a blood transfusion following the birth. The baby was briefly sent to the NICU. I am happy to report that through lots of prayers and support from family and friends, Megan and Oaklie are home now and recovering nicely.

I've become a grandma at age 39, the same age that my mother became a grandma. This is going to take some getting used to! Grandma Rupp is my mother-in-law, not me :) On Monday, I'll reach the ripe ole' middle age of 40. That being said, I'm choosing to embrace 40 and being a grandma, with the hope that I'll occasionally be mistaken for Oaklie's mommy!


2 comments:

  1. What a cutie! You are going to be an awesome Grandma. It's going to be nice to be a young grandma with lots of energy to play with Oaklie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40 is, without a doubt, the new 30 and you are a poster child for that movement! You look great, are still young and just think the fun you'll have being young parents WITH your kids! So, maybe you should come up with something besides "grandma." You really are TOO young for that. Just a thought.Is there a good Dutch word that would make a suitable substitute?

    I'm glad things worked out in the end for Megan. Although I did NOT progress quickly and had different complications, I had my first two without an epidural AND without a doctor on the second one. They had given up on me during the pushing stage on that one (2.5 hours) and he had gone across the street to see patients. I didn't know I had checked into a "natural childbirth" hospital. Young and dumb and learned fast. After those two, you can be sure that I asked before the girls were born and got it all lined up ahead of time. What a difference!!!!! Hugs and best wishes all around on this, the week of your birthday and Valentine's Day... and don't forget to wear that smile that says, "I get to be a Grandma while I'm young!!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete